Mariner Guesthouse was architecturally designed to be an environmentally friendly facility. Simon’s Town has a very moderate climate, making it the perfect place to utilise natural light and ventilation.
The house is situated in a north-facing position, making it ideal to harness nature’s energy. All rooms have extra high ceilings and large glass windows, allowing for natural light to be used to the full. Even though we have air-conditioning and heating facilities, guests are requested to use these amenities responsibly.
Two state of the art solar geysers deliver all hot water used by guests staying at Mariner Guesthouse. The SOLAHART 302KF system has no mechanical parts and can deliver hot water to the entire House during the warm months. It is estimated that a total of 15 584 kW/hr per annum is saved, under average weather conditions.
Environmentally conscious measures
We have the following energy saving measures in place:
- Recycling of plastic, paper and glass
- Indigenous fynbos garden, requiring minimum irrigation
- We use energy-saving light bulbs
- Solar Heating for our geysers
- Laundry Policy – guest are requested to use towels responsibly by making use of the heated (economic) towel rails instead of having them laundered daily
- Our Laundry and Dishwashing detergents are phosphate-free and bio-degradable
- All complimentary bathroom amenities are water-based, 100% bio-degradable, free of phosphates and have not been tested on animals
- As far as possible ~ Organic and free-range food is used to prepare meals
- We make use of herbs from our own herb garden when preparing meals