Southern African Foundation for the Conservation of Coastal Birds (SANCCOB) and South African National Parks (SANParks) are hosting the annual Penguin Festival at Boulders Beach in Simon’s Town.
The festival starts with the release of African penguins that were rehabilitated by SANCCOB and takes place at 10h00 at Seaforth Beach in Simon’s Town. Parking can be found at the Seaforth Beach parking area.
Be sure not to miss this moving event as these penguins waddle their way back into the ocean.
After the release festival-goers can head to the Simon’s Town Navy Sports Fields, situated right next to Seaforth Beach, for the start of the festival activities.
General admission is free and R100 for an all-access pass to the kids games. Kids under 2 enter for free.
The festival runs from 10h00 until 16h00 on the Saturday.
With the help of partners such as SANParks, SANCCOB admits close to 1500 African penguins (and a 1 000 other seabirds) for rehabilitation to its centres and releases them back into to the wild to boost the wild African penguin population. Alarmingly, only 2% of the African penguin population remain in the wild today.
Together, SANCCOB, SANParks and their partners in conservation are at the forefront of saving the charismatic African penguin species. All proceeds from the festival are donated to SANCCOB in support of their African penguin conservation work.
7 Ways you can help to conserve African penguins:
- Adopt and name an African penguin by visiting ttp://sanccob.co.za/adopt/
- Report injured penguins and/or oiled birds to SANCCOB by calling (021) 557 6155 (normal work hours) / 078 638 3731 (after hours & weekends) or to SANParks on 021 786 2329 (office hours) or 0861 106417 (24-hour emergency number)
- Donate to SANCCOB online at http://sanccob.co.za/donate.php or see what items are needed onSANCCOB’s Wish List http://sanccob.co.za/involved/#wishlist
- Visit SANCCOB’s online shop for penguin goodies at http://sanccob.co.za/shop.php
- Raise funds for SANCCOB by simply swiping your MySchool MyVillage MyPlanet card:http://sanccob.co.za/involved/#myschool
- Volunteer at SANCCOB by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Start your own fundraising campaign for SANCCOB with Givengain:https://www.givengain.com/c/sanccob