History of the SA Navy

The South African Navy’s earliest beginnings can be traced to the Port Elizabeth Naval Volunteer Brigade that was raised in 1861, but seems to have merged with a volunteer artillery unit in the following year. On 30 April 1885 a part-time unit named the Natal Naval Volunteers (NNV) was formed in Durban. The SA Navy …

History of the SA Navy Read More »

Jubilee Square

Jubilee Square in 1880, when it was still known as Market Square. (It was the market where farmers in the area came to sell their produce.) A view of Jubilee Square and Simon’s Town from the sea, circa 1880. William Anderson’s fishing shed is in the foreground. Jubilee Square in 1950. Children from the Muslim …

Jubilee Square Read More »


Royal Navy The Royal Navy-Marines captured in Simon`s Town 1928. Look at the buildings in the background, many have not changed that much, and are still in good use today. Photos shared from Wil Howard